Tuesday, June 18, 2013

How to get lost in the Riviera Nayarit

Published 4:26 pm, Tuesday, June 18, 2013
  • Mexcaltitan, one of Mexico's Magic Pueblos, is a manmade island of floating mangroves and canals where legend has it that the Aztec civilization originated. Photo: Mexico Tourism Board
    Mexcaltitan, one of Mexico's Magic Pueblos, is a manmade island of floating mangroves and canals where legend has it that the Aztec civilization originated. Photo: Mexico Tourism Board

In 2006, I got wind of a new mega-development planned for the coast in Nayarit state, designed by the Mexico tourism development agency FONATUR, and pointed my compass south in a panic. Several years earlier, I had spent an idyllic five days in San Blas and always wanted to return to explore more of Nayarit's coastline. With nightmarish visions of Cancun dancing in my head, I figured it was time to get on my pony.
With my sister, on her first trip to Mexico, I basked in the peace and quiet of fishing villages towns notched into the edge of the jungle that creeps right up to the shoreline — places where cars respectfully shared the roads with horses and burros, and everyone we met was honored to help us exercise our Spanish skills. We also visited the FONATUR site, called Litibu, which was no more than a grand, block-long entrance gate, a golf course, several paved roads through the jungle and a sweep of profoundly beautiful beach. The uber-luxurious Punta Mita development just south of there was already in full regalia. It was a sometimes surreal juxtaposition of Nayarit's past and its future in one trip. Coming home brought the sadness that comes with knowing you've seen something wonderful for the last time — a feeling intensified by receiving a press release a few months later announcing a "new destination" called Riviera Nayarit.
But during a recent business trip to Puerto Vallarta, I couldn't resist the call of that coast and those villages, however they may have changed. What I found is that parts of the Nayarit coast have changed little, if at all. Yes, the planned residential-resort of Nuevo Vallarta squats between Puerto Vallarta and the village of Bucerias to the north, and Litibu is rapidly filling with hotels and vacation homes. The once-scruffy surfing haven of Sayulita has acquired condos, a large contingent of expats and abundant traffic that recently inspired a downtown makeover. All that was expected. The surprise was that much of the coast is still a trove of history, culture and tradition, where Margaritaville is alive and well.
Here are a few suggestions for getting lost in Margaritaville; the rest I leave for you to discover on your own. The local visitors bureau is chock-full of ideas.
Bucerias: By some miracle, the closest village to all the new development has morphed from a tiny fishing community into a vacation spot of about 17,000. Despite an influx of expatriates, residents are mostly Spanish-speaking Mexicans, and it retains its slow pace and traditional ways, right down to the hand-made cobblestone streets brightly painted buildings and enormous wooden doors. Its 5-mile stretch of soft yellow sand, one of the cleanest in Mexico, accommodates sailboats, kayaks, jet skis and palapa restaurants without crowding, while the Main Plaza buzzes with locals going about their day-to-day business. Serenity reigns in an abundance of excellent restaurants and bars along the main streets. Art is important in Bucerias. An artisan market winds through its narrow streets six days a week, and a cultural center called Crearte was recently established to teach creative arts to all residents. For a closer look at what the town has to offer, take a look at the expat-run Best of Bucerias website.

http://www.sfgate.com/mexico/mexicomix/article/How-to-get-lost-in-the-Riviera-Nayarit-4608175.php#page-1

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) +918376918351 Thank you.

osma said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
First name......
Middle name.....
2) Gender:.........
3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
4) Loan Duration:.........
5) Country:.........
6) Home Address:.........
7) Mobile Number:.........
8) Email address..........
9) Monthly Income:.....................
10) Occupation:...........................
11)Which site did you here about us.....................
Thanks and Best Regards.
Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

Newsletter Archive

Newsletter Archive
Newsletter Archive

About Me

My Photo
Cross Border Investment / Hipotecaria CBI
Have you wanted to own a vacation or second home in Mexico but thought it was out of your reach? For the past several years, foreigners have been able to purchase properties in Mexico using a traditional mortgage! Cross Border Investment provides premium financial services in Mexico – including mortgage brokering and closing coordination. At CBI, we work with you to select the top loan for your needs and we shop for the best deals amongst our lenders. CBI offers 99% of the loans available – we are your link to the lowest interest rates and fees, as well as the smoothest closing. Contact us today, and let CBI make your dreams a reality! -------------------------- Hipotecaria CBI está orgulloso de ofrecer 99% de las opciones de hipotecas disponibles. Trabajamos con Ud. para seleccionar el crédito hipotecario más económico de acuerdo a sus necesidades y escogemos entre las mejores ofertas entre los prestamistas. Póngase en contacto con Hipotecaria CBI para informarse sobre cuál es el mejor crédito para usted.
View my complete profile

Blog Archive